Love Your Mutt on National Mutt Day!
Merritt Milam | July 8, 2015
National Mutt Day is just around the corner on July 31, and in honor of this wonderful day we want to celebrate and embrace all of our fabulous, mixed breed dog friends! National Mutt Day was created by an animal welfare advocate in 2005 to raise awareness of the influx of mixed breed dogs that are in shelters and in desperate need of new homes. Since there is a rapidly increasing need to find mutts a home, National Mutt Day is now a biannual event, occurring on July 31 and December 2.
According to HumaneSociety.org, 25 percent of shelter dogs are purebreds, leaving an immense 75 percent of shelter dogs as mixed breed dogs. Mutts sometimes get a bad rap in the dog world, but these adorable pups are usually just as healthy and well behaved as purebreds. While many purebreds are susceptible to breed specific diseases, mutts have a diverse set of genes, which makes them less susceptive.
No two mutts are alike, so you can find your perfect one-of-a-kind pooch in any color, size or shape! This year’s goal is to save 10,000 mutts on National Mutt Day. Only about 30 percent of pets in homes come from shelters or rescues and there are nearly 8 million cats and dogs entering shelters each year, so help spread the word about this wonderful cause, and next time you’re looking to find your future furry friend adopt a mutt!